Monday, May 21, 2007

Rest Day Thoughts...

Had a chance to do some component research yesterday. I've decided on a set of Titanium Zero Gravity brakes which will reduce the weight of my bike by about 1/2 a pound. Leading up to Highlander I will get my bike back in for service for a tune up and have a Dura Ace bottom bracket installed.

As far as wheelsets go the Mavic SSC SL's seem to still be the best bang for the buck. Tires I haven't had a chance to look into yet but I'm going to assume the Michelin Pro Race2 tires are the best outside of clincher's. That combo was awesome when I rode it in 2005 to the Summit of Mt. Mitchell.

I can change the bike all I want, but the rider has to be in shape also. Taking Eggman's advice at least for the next few weeks I'll be doing 30-40 miles 3 times a week at medium intensity with some intervals, 1 hard ride all out followed by 1 recovery ride at low intensity. The days and miles will vary depending on feel.

This week I'll be ordering an HRM from someplace. I don't need anything fancy, you know keep track of your heart rate for xxxxx amount of time and tell you your average. I'll use the internet to figure out calories burned vs. what I should consume. I won't be riding with the receiver on my handlebar, it'll be in my back jersey pocket where I can't see it until after the ride.

This training I'm riding on feel - I have enough experience to know what I need to do.

I'll be ready.

1 comment:

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

Hammer,

it's great you are picking your days. I have done it and It's a nice balance. It keeps us sane and properly trained. It also keeps us motivated and achieving longevity.

Keep it up man!!